You must already know that when driving in winter, when snow and ice are on the roads, you need to have snow chains, which you must use on specific sections of the roads. In addition, it is advisable to use them if you ride on roads in mountain or other areas where there is plenty of snow.
For cars that have a front-wheel drive, one pair of snow chains is needed to be mounted on the front wheels. Cars that have the help of the rear wheels have two options – a safer and more expensive option is to mount chains on all wheels, and a cheaper and less secure option is to mount chains only on the rear wheels. Setting up chains is not a hard task, and when buying, you always get the appropriate mounting instructions.
However, when you find yourself in the situation of putting chains for the first time, and the weather conditions around you are bad, setting chains certainly will not work so easily.
- Snow chains consist of two parts – left and right. Each part has its own chains that are traveling around the left/right side.
- It is necessary for the main cable to be drawn behind the wheel, and also to delineate the left and right parts of chains – each on its side.
- Connect the ends of the cable harness above the wheel and transfer the chains over the tire tread to the outside of the rim.
- Attach the inner colored end of the chain to the red hook.
- Pull the end of the red chain where the rubber stretch is located and tighten the chains through the hook as much as possible. Then, tighten the black rubber part on the farthest portion of the hook.
- You will notice that the chains are not fully tightened. The next thing you need to do is to gently move the vehicle about ten meters and repeat the last step, but now you can tie the red chain with the rubber end.
When operating a chained vehicle, be particularly careful and do not exceed the speed of 50 kilometers per hour. If you cross a number of miles with the chains set, periodically stop your vehicle and perform a check. Remove the snow chains as soon as you reach the cleansed asphalt.